to the Molecular Biology Cluster Network Potsdam (MoBiCluP) website.
Our network combines the core capabilities of each member in biotechnology (and/or applied life sciences and natural sciences), covering the disciplines microbiology, protein chemistry, genetics, micro-sensor systems, the environment, veterinary medicine, diagnostics and nutritional science, to pursue joint activities at regional, supra-regional and international level.
By sharing knowledge and pooling resources, the network creates a source for technology transfer, thus stimulating innovation and growth in the scientific and business sectors in the Potsdam/Brandenburg region.
A key goal of the network is to effectively utilise the potentials of the respective biotech companies and research institutions active in different fields of technology through intensive co-operation for the mutual benefit of all stakeholders.
The network also provides a platform for sustainable cooperation between science and business to help bring innovative high-tech products to market. To this effect, we design, coordinate and carry out joint projects, with the further aim of promoting cooperation between businesses and research organisations both within and outside the network. We also aim to support targeted qualification measures for the network partners’ staff.
For further information about our activities, please visit our homepage or contact us directly.
The MoBiCluP network was created with the aim of positioning Potsdam in the Life Sciences Cluster Berlin-Brandenburg as a centre for scientific innovation and as an engine for economic development in the region.
The network actively supports the rising prominence of molecular biology in biotechnology, not just in Potsdam but in the Berlin-Brandenburg region as a whole. As such it forms a platform for the exchange of information between science and industry, for joint projects and for good internal communication and coordination.
The network addresses issues set out in the partners’ scientific remit as well as issues related to location and commercial development. These issues will be resolved through cooperation between the network management, regional stakeholders and State of Brandenburg funding bodies.
Strong network links enable innovative products to be developed and marketed with groundbreaking success. At the same time Potsdam’s status as a major biotechnology hub can be significantly enhanced.
The network’s multiple offerings are aimed at enterprises interested in continuous improvement in efficiency and which are looking for competent partners. As a newly established centre for molecular biology, MoBiCluP reinforces the attractiveness of Potsdam and the Berlin-Brandenburg region as a viable location for existing and new businesses alike.
Member companies are located between Potsdam Hermannswerder, Potsdam Golm and Hennigsdorf. The network HQ is located in the grounds of the Biotech Campus Potsdam-Hermannswerder.
The network and its activities will initially focus on Potsdam as a regional centre of growth. Links with other networks in the Berlin-Brandenburg region and also at international level are planned in the interest of promoting scientific activities and exploiting the innovative potential.
By effectively integrating and coordinating the different research fields and members scientific expertise we can plan innovative joint projects that in turn will result in innovative products. This will open up completely new opportunities for the development of high-tech products in the fields of molecular biology, biochemistry and genetics.
Transfer of technology, expertise and knowledge between the cooperating enterprises
- Establish a platform for the exchange of information and expertise which brings together suitable cooperation partners, e.g., to carry out challenging and innovative projects
- Create joint projects between industry and research institutes (University, Max Planck, Fraunhofer, etc.)
Joint use of materials/services:
- Joint purchase of materials/services to reduce costs
- Set up a central laboratory where S1 and S2 activities can be carried out. These can be done more cost-effectively and efficiently via the network
Marketing, market exploitation and sales strategy:
- Investigate the target markets of the network partners and the respective market structures; support for positioning in the target markets, e.g., through targeted positioning of the network
- Develop marketing and sales strategies for better market exploitation of innovative services and products
Improve cooperation with regional economic development stakeholders:
- Organise events/meetings with the network members and economic development actors; procure funding for the member companies
- Link the scientific and commercial activities of the network partners in Brandenburg and cooperate with local, national and international networks to implement a regional biotechnology competence network with international focus
- Integrate the network partners into national and international support programmes
- Professional specialist search and use of synergies through personnel transfer
Assistance in legal matters:
- Facilitate legal matters, notably recurring cases regarding employment law, tenancy law, corporate law (start-ups, selection of the legal form, avoiding disputes), administrative law (permits and licenses) and state funding for projects (subsidies and other financial support)
Professional risk management:
- Risk management systematically tackles typical business risks. Liability, environmental, product and financial risks in particular can endanger the very existence of a company. These risks are identified and measures for risk reduction and risk assumption are taken.
- Organise joint projects and prepare applications (e.g. within the framework of ZIM programmes)
- Produce competency profiles for the network members
- Establish, organise and coordinate effective knowledge transfer methods for use with both network members and external bodies
- Hold network meetings where members can assemble to voice their needs and wishes and discuss their activities and technologies
- Support network members to improve staff competence and address other human resource issues
- Present the network along with its member companies in a marketing strategy to promote Brandenburg as a business and industry location
Further planned activities:
We intend to establish a qualification network to help unemployed graduates wanting to enter or re-enter their profession and to provide intensive courses in biochemistry, microbiology, genetics and molecular biology. Course participants may then be offered positions or work placement opportunities with the various MoBiCluP member companies.
Network events do not just strengthen communication between the members, but can also contribute to making the MoBiCluP network known to a wider audience outside the region. A regular biotechnology congress, for example, can help unite European know-how and expertise with investors and industrial partners in the Brandenburg-Berlin region, thus enhancing the “regional brand image” . With this in mind, planning is in process for the International Biotechnology Congress in Potsdam, to take place every two years and primarily address issues of interest to the member companies. The first congress will address the following:
- 1. innovative development within the field of mobile, integrated, microsystem-based diagnostics systems for the detection of (new) infectious agents and potential B-agents, and
- 2. the development of up-to-date technical and medical and preventive measures